Sunday, March 30, 2014

Quinoa Salad

This recipe is inspired by a quinoa salad I had at Prairie Ink Restaurant in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Ingredients:
Salad
  • 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
  • 1/2 c almonds, toasted
  • 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and grated (this is approximately one 6-8" carrot)
  • 2 small tomatoes, chopped
  • 3/4 cup corn
  • 3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 shallot, finely diced (or 1/4 cup red onion, diced)
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 to 4 cups arugula

Dressing
  • 1 or 2 limes, juiced (this is about 5-6 tbsp if you have juicy limes)
  • zest of 1 lime
  • 1 heaping tsp cumin
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp honey (optional)

Directions:

1) Cook quinoa according to package directions. Cool.
2) Toast almonds* 
3) Prepare dressing by whisking ingredients in a small bowl.
4) In a large bowl, combine quinoa, carrots, tomatoes, corn, black beans, chickpeas, shallot and cilantro and mix gently.
5)  Add dressing to salad.  Salt and pepper to taste. Before serving, toss with arugula. Garnish with toasted almonds.

*Throw almonds into a pan, cook on low-medium heat, and stir occasionally until golden brown.  No need for butter or oil.

Notes: 
  • I kept a little reserve dressing and lightly tossed arugula in it before adding to salad.
  • I kept the arugula separate from the main salad until ready to serve because I wanted to eat the salad the next day and was unsure if the arugula would be soggy
  • I used a blend of red, black and white quinoa

This salad was great, I will definitely be making it again!

2 comments:

  1. I love that quinoa salad at Prairie Ink! Although I am quite sad that my usual go-to salad of pear and blue cheese is now off the menu. - Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the salad I tried when we went for lunch there!

      Delete