Sunday, May 11, 2014

No-Bake Granola Bars

I've been looking for another granola bar to try for awhile and finally came across this one that I thought looked yummy.  So glad I tried it - this recipe from David Lebovitz is fantastic!

The texture was great - there was a nice balance between 'crunchy' and 'chewy'. I also never realized how much I like roasted whole almonds!



A few notes:
  • I used Medjool dates
  • I didn't have dried sour cherries so I substituted some sunflower and pumpkin seeds instead.  I happened to have about 1 tbsp of dried cranberries so I threw those in as well.
  • I also didn't have peanuts on hand so I used chopped raw cashews instead
  • My chocolate chips mostly melted (I used mini chips) once I added them to the granola mixture which was still a little warm from the oven - I don't think this mattered
  • I think the 1/4 cup honey could definitely be adjusted depending on personal taste.  While I didn't find these bars too sweet, other palettes might.  The next time I make these, I will probably reduce the honey or eliminate it altogether.  (Edit:  I tried these bars again, by only including a little honey.  Bad idea, the honey helps to bind the bars and I ended up with loose granola, still delicious but didn't hold together!  So, to reduce sweetness, next time I will exclude the chocolate chips instead!)
  • I stored my bars in the freezer

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful recipe! I plan to make it a regular :) C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is a regular for me too! I like to make more than one batch at once as the bars don't seem to last for very long….!

    ReplyDelete